As Google relies more on artificial intelligence (AI) to respond to user queries, having topical authority makes your website a trusted source, increasing the chances of being featured in search results. Building topical authority is a continuous effort, but the lasting advantages for your website’s SEO are substantial. Here’s everything you need to know about consistently building topical authority, from the team at SEO Sydney.
What Is Topical Authority? – SEO Sydney Explains
Topical authority refers to the credibility and expertise your content holds in a specific subject area, as assessed by search engines such as Google. Building trust with users and Google requires consistently producing high-quality content. This, in turn, helps establish and enhance your topical authority. The higher your topical authority, the better your website ranks, resulting in increased organic traffic.
Benefits Of High Topical Authority
To emphasise the importance of maintaining high topical authority, here are the various benefits you can enjoy:
- Increased Organic Traffic to Your Website: This means more people naturally finding and visiting your site from search engines like Google. When your content is authoritative, it’s more likely to show up in search results, attracting organic visitors.
- Your Website Will Be Selected to Directly Answer User Queries: Google likes to feature trustworthy sources as direct answers in search results. If your site is an authority on a topic, it could be chosen to provide clear answers to user questions.
- Recognition as a Trustworthy Website: When your content consistently delivers reliable information, both users and search engines trust your site more. This trust is crucial for SEO success.
- Other Websites Will Link to Your Website: If your content is seen as valuable and authoritative, other reputable websites will link to it. These inbound links boost your site’s credibility in the eyes of search engines.
- More Economical Benefits: As your site gains more visibility and trust, it can attract more customers or clients. This can lead to increased sales or business opportunities, providing economic benefits.
How To Build Topical Authority
Now that you know the benefits of topical authority, let’s explore how to actually build topical authority on your website.
At the core of building and retaining topical authority is creating high-quality content.
- Invest in Quality Content: You’ve to ensure your content is informative and provides real value to your audience. Quality content answers questions, solves problems and offers insights. This builds trust with your readers and establishes your website as a reliable source.
- Regularly Update Your Website: Keeping your content current by updating it regularly is crucial as well. This includes optimising existing articles, adding new information or incorporating the latest industry trends. Search engines favour websites that consistently provide up-to-date content.
- Base Content on SEO Keywords using SERP Analysis: Conduct thorough keyword research to identify phrases and terms relevant to your audience. You can take advantage of SEO tools such as Google Keyword Planner to discover what people are searching for.
Then, analyse the SERPs to understand the type of content that ranks well for these keywords. This will help you create content that aligns with user expectations, helping you build topical authority in relevant content and improving your chances of ranking higher in search results.
- Create Search-Friendly, Fresh and Engaging Content: Write content that is fresh and that aligns with industry updates and emerging topics. This way, you can engage and educate your target audience.
- Match Content with Search Intent: Another strategy to remember is to understand the various intents behind user searches, such as informational, navigational or transactional. Produce content to fulfil these intents. If users are seeking information, provide in-depth guides. For navigational searches, make your site easy to navigate. Transactional searches should lead to clear calls-to-action, encouraging users to take the next steps.
By focusing on these aspects, you can enhance your website’s SEO, build topical authority and create a more valuable and engaging experience for your audience.
The next crucial aspect is honing in on your topic. Google evaluates websites based on semantic associations, so it’s vital that your content is closely tied to the specific topic you’re exploring, and it should delve into the subject matter comprehensively.
Let’s take an example: If your product is books and you’re creating content about spring, make sure to weave spring and books together. A blog post on spring cleaning your bookshelves that is about unhauling books directly ties the seasonal theme with your main topic, books.
Essentially, when devising your strategy, you’ve to keep in mind the hub and spokes model, or topic cluster model, for content marketing. Here, the hub or pillar is your primary topic, i.e. books, and the spokes or clusters are supporting content, i.e. spring cleaning. All these interconnected pieces link back to your hub, reinforcing your topical authority. This not only improves keyword rankings and traffic but also positions your website as the go-to source for all things related to books.
Another crucial element that contributes to semantic associations in your content is backlinks. By linking your content to reputable and relevant websites, you’re sending a strong signal to Google about the legitimacy and credibility of your content.
What To Remember:
Relevance is Key: The websites you link to or receive links from should be relevant to your content. This reinforces the semantic associations and adds value to your readers.
Natural Link Building: You’ve to encourage natural link building by creating valuable, shareable content. When others find your content useful, they are more likely to link to it organically.
By strategically incorporating relevant and high-quality backlinks, you can enhance the semantic associations in your content and strengthen your website’s overall standing in search engine rankings.
Creating author pages serves a crucial role in helping Google understand the source of your content. It communicates that the content has been created by experienced writers with expertise, contributing to a sense of credibility.
Explore More With SEO Sydney
For additional guidance on crafting such content, explore our other resources. If you’re seeking assistance with SEO strategies to enhance your site’s ranking and online visibility, feel free to connect with SEO Sydney. We specialise in optimising websites for search engines and can provide tailored insights to elevate your online presence.